The Spa Spot: Wrapping up Day 12
As is often the case, there was plenty of news to chew on Thursday:
- John Velazquez rode two winners from four mounts and now has six since he launched his comeback from injuries last week. Velazquez was aboard for San Pablo's triumph in the Birdstone Stakes, the sixth race, and won with R King of the Road in the seventh. Both horses are trained by Todd Pletcher. Velazquez is winning at a 30 percent clip (6 for 20) and his horses are in the money at a 45 percent rate (9 for 20). At this time last year, Velazquez had 23 victories.
- Pletcher's two victories moved him to the top of the trainers' standings with nine wins. Chad Brown pulled even with Pletcher with Inaugurate's win in the 10th. Pletcher had 17 winners through 12 days last year.
- The Silver Machine's win in the eighth at odds of 33-1 surely had a lot to do with the Pick Six not being hit. The Silver Machine, trained by Gary Sciacca, returned $68.50. The carryover into Friday's card is $77,337.
- Trainer Lisa Lewis won the 11th for 2-year-old New York-bred maidens going long on the grass with Archer Hill and is 2-for-2 this season. Lewis is based at Woodbine this summer and has made the right call with decisions to ship her New Yorkers into Saratoga. Alex Solis has come in from Woodbine to ride both of the Lewis winners.
- On-track attendance of 16,687 was up five percent and the on-track handle was up one percent, but there were 10 races run in 2011 and 11 this year. The total handle was up 12 percent.