Updated 02/18/2013 03:12 PM
UB officials reassess following carbon monoxide leak
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
AMHERST, N.Y. — UB officials are trying to determine why carbon monoxide detectors were missing from Richmond Quad on North Campus.
A spokesperson say those detectors would have gone off Sunday night, warning students of a carbon monoxide leak, had they been where they belonged.
Students living in Richmond Quad began feeling sick around 8:30 p.m. Sunday after a faulty boiler in a laundry room began to leak.
Some students reported feeling headaches and nausea. Two students took themselves to the hospital while others received medical treatment on site by first responders.
The boiler was shut off and is being repaired, and the university is inspecting all other boilers to be safe.
"The university will conduct a thorough review of what happened, what caused this equipment to fail, take any corrective action that's necessary," said Joe Brennan, University spokesperson.
Brennan says hard-wired carbon monoxide detectors will be installed in the upcoming weeks, and more plug-in detectors were put in the quad as a temporary fix.